BACKGROUND TO BAF:
BAF was founded in 2009 by Thomas Chibambo, Director of the Warehouse Cultural Center in Blantyre and Scholarship holder of the cultural management training initiated by the Goethe-Institute. He identified different Artists from various art disciplines to work together towards BAF.
An NGO was formed and registered under a trusteeship in October 2009. It is represented by a 5 member Board, whereby the Board members also constitute the Organizing Committee of the festival.
In 2009, BAF started successfully with a local line-up of Artists and a 2 days program at the Warehouse Cultural Center.
To unify and promote Malawian arts and culture through interactive capacity building events that lead to their artistic liberation and socioeconomic empowerment.
A future where artists gain positive and visible recognition and are rewarded for their effort in a proactive development in the creative industries.
· To publicly promote the network and raise funds for Blantyre Arts Festival which will be always in Blantyre City but for all artists in the country and across the borders.
· To secure organizational partnership on local and internationally.
· To liberate the talent of the artists through entertainment, exhibitions, trainings, and capacity building events.
· To hold a flagship annual Blantyre Arts Festival events to profile the diverse range of creative artists.
· To use Arts and Culture activities as a tool for development and quantify to the MDGs of which Malawi is signatory.
To find out more about our Workshops and Programs
And how to become a Volunteer
Every year we are finding professional Arts practitioners to conduct workshops in various Arts fields. Such as Theater, Photography, Poetry, Visual Arts, Music and many more. Workshops will be held for artists for free at all the venues of Blantyre Arts Festival activities. The Workshops are amongst others in Cultural Management, Arts Marketing, Arts Administration, Networking in order to improve the Artists professional skills.
Blantyre Arts Festival has set up three programs so far. First there is a school program which involves arts activities which are related to students school studies. To enhance the Arts skills to the Youths. Second is the outreach program for the townships. Performances of various artists are taken out to perform at places where it is usually hard to attend at cultural events. The reason is to give access to Arts activities for free to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to be part of the Blantyre Arts Festival activities. Another program is to organize trainings for Artists and Arts practitioners in various arts and cultural related fields.
Become a Volunteer at BAF
You want to get to know Malawi and you are interested in Arts and Culture.
We are welcoming everyone who wants to be a part of the BAF-Team.
Contact us to get more information.